Patients and Caregivers

Frequently Asked Questions by Patients and Caregivers

The links below will bring you to the appropriate section below.

How long will it take to process my application? 

The VMR must approve or deny an application in writing within 30 days of receipt of a completed application. If there are any issues regarding the completeness of an application correspondence will be sent requesting the missing item(s). If the application is approved, the VMR will issue the applicant a registry identification card. The registry identification card and/or any other correspondence will be sent to the mailing address provided on the completed application.

What are the photo requirements?

Initial applicants MUST submit a digital photo. Renewal applicants only need to submit a photo if his or her appearance has significantly changed.

The photo must be: 

• In color

• Reflect your current appearance (taken within the last 6 months)

• A clear image of ONLY you (not blurry, grainy, or fuzzy)

• Full face-and-shoulder shot, squarely facing the camera (no sunglasses or hats)

Additional Tips 

• Do not scan your driver's license or another photo ID. The scanned image will not be of high enough quality to meet the requirements. 

• Do not submit a photo of a photo (just take a photo of yourself).

Submitting a Photo – To submit a photo, send an email from your computer, cell phone, or mobile device with the following information: 

• Subject Line: Application Photo

• Include your date of birth with your first and last name in the body of the email

• Attach your photo 

• Email Address: 

• Receipt: A email will be sent by the VMR staff confirming acceptance of your photo. 

If you are unable to email a photo, a photo may be submitted on a CD.

What are the fees?

There is a $50 non-refundable fee for each application for a registry identification card. The fee must accompany each initial and renewal application. Checks and money orders must be made out to the Department of Public Safety and dated. Please note that the fee will not be returned in the event that your application is denied.

There is a $25 processing fee for reissuing a lost or stolen registry identification card and for any changes to the information contained on a registry identification card. The fee must accompany a Change of Information form.

Will the VMR remind me when it is time to renew my registry identification card?

No, it is your responsibility to renew annually with the VMR by submitting the required completed applications/forms with a non-refundable $50 fee.

Please Note: When renewing, all applicants MUST submit a completed Health Care Professional Verification Form and Registered Patient Application.

What is a registered caregiver and am I required to have one?

A registered caregiver is a person who is at least 21 years of age, who has met eligibility requirements determined by the VMR, and who has agreed to undertake responsibility for managing the well-being of a registered patient with respect to the use of marijuana for symptom relief. A registered caregiver shall be a resident of Vermont. 

A patient applying for a registry identification card with the VMR is not required to have a registered caregiver. For additional information related to registered caregivers or registering as a caregiver please refer to the Caregiver Information section.

Please Note: A registered patient who is under 18 years of age may have two registered caregivers.

Can I register as a caregiver, if I am a registered patient?

Yes, but you cannot register as your own caregiver. If you are a registered patient without a caregiver you are already serving as your own caregiver and there is not a need to submit another $50 fee. If you are a registered patient, and another registered patient requests your assistance with respect of cultivating or purchasing marijuana from a dispensary, you may apply as a caregiver. The eligibility requirements above still apply.

Is my confidentiality protected?

Yes, all records maintained by the VMR are kept confidential. Limited information or records may be disclosed only in the following circumstances:

• Pursuant to a court order;
• With the written permission from the applicant;
• For prosecution for false swearing under 13 V.S.A. § 2904;
• To a law enforcement officer or agency for verifying information in response to person-specific or property-specific inquiry made in the course of a bona fide investigation or prosecution; or
• To a registered patient’s treating or consulting health care professional and to a registered patient’s caregiver.

Can I purchase usable marijuana from a registered dispensary and cultivate marijuana?

Yes, a registered patient may obtain marijuana from the patient's designated dispensary cultivate marijuana. A registered patient may designate only one dispensary. If a registered patient designates a dispensary, his or her caregiver may only schedule appointments at his or her registered patient’s designated dispensary.

Where can I find information about the dispensaries and their locations?

Information about the dispensaries can be located here and on the Dispensaries page of our website.

Currently there are five dispensaries operating in Vermont and offering delivery to registered patients and caregivers. They are located in:

  • Bennington
  • Brandon
  • Brattleboro
  • Burlington
  • Montpelier

Additional dispensing sites will be opening in Middlebury and St. Albans.

Dispensing sites have been proposed for Hartford, South Burlington, and Williston. These are proposed locations and have not been approved by the Department at this time.

How do I change my designated dispensary?

A registered patient who wishes to change his or her designated dispensary must complete a Change of Information form and submit a $25 fee. The VMR usually can issue a new registry identification card within 10 days of receiving the Change of Information form and $25 fee. A registered patient may only change his or her designated dispensary once in any 30-day period.

Can my registered caregiver and I designate a different dispensary?

No, a registered caregiver does not designate a dispensary. The registered patient determines his or her designated dispensary.

Can I purchase clones or seeds from a registered dispensary?

Yes, you may purchase clones or seeds from your designated dispensary.

Please note: Registered dispensaries have the option to sell clones and seeds.

How much marijuana is a registered patient allowed to possess?

“Possession limit” is defined by Vermont law to mean the amount of marijuana collectively possessed between the registered patient and the patient’s registered caregiver. All registered patients may possess no more than two ounces of usable marijuana, 2 mature marijuana plants, and 7 immature marijuana plants. 

PLEASE NOTE: The possession limit remains the same even if a registered patient registers as a caregiver for another registered patient. 

If I decide to cultivate marijuana as a registered patient what are the requirements?       

A registered patient who elects to cultivate marijuana to be used for symptom relief may only do so in a single secure indoor facility. A single secure indoor facility must be a room or building equipped with locks or other security devices that only permits access to the registered patient and his or her registered caregiver. The location of the single secure indoor facility must be specified on the patient’s application or submitted in writing to the VMR. A registered patient may us the Change of Information Form to submit the location of his or her single secure indoor facility.




Contact Information

Vermont Marijuana Registry
45 State Drive
Waterbury,  VT  05671-1300
Tel: (802) 241-5115
Fax: (802) 241-5230